Saturday 1 July 2017

'We are here' outside Barnsley Town Hall

Last year to commemorate the 100th anniversary of  The Battle of The Somme a project named #wearehere set out to create an unforgettable memorial to the those who fell. On the first day alone, 19,240 men were killed. The 1st July 1916 is still considered the bloodiest day in British military history.
Thousands of volunteers dressed as WW1 soldiers appeared unannounced at locations all over the U.K.  Not one of them spoke a word as to their purpose or identity. but instead handed a small card to anyone who approached them.  Each participant represented an individual soldier who was killed on that day one hundred years before.

It was shortly after the Somme remembrance ceremony has finished that the 'soldiers' appeared outside Barnsley town hall, having made their way up Market Hill from the train station. The 'men' sat  on the benches at bottom of the fountains for around 15 minutes before their 'Sergeant' rallied them and they lined up once more and marched back towards the train station.
It was a very poignant tribute, not only to the men who fell at the Somme but to all those who served in WW1. It humanized them and brought to life the thousands of faceless names carved on to Thiepval and other war memorials. These were very real men, the much loved sons and fathers who went off to war and never returned. But always remembered.
It was by sheer luck that I managed to witness this once in a life time event. I had meant to attend the memorial ceremony, but due to my dog's grooming appointment overrunning (of all things) I missed it. I arrived just as everyone was leaving, but decided  to stay and view 'Light Lines', The Barnsley Pals memorial by Musson+Retallick. That way my journey wouldn't have been a total waste of time, just as I was about to leave #Wearehere appeared. I managed to get a few photos. But I didn't approach them as I hadn't heard about the project and mistakenly thought they were part of the ceremony I'd just missed and were waiting for a lift home - (I know, what an idiot!). I'm still kicking myself that I didn't take full advantage of the opportunity but still glad I witnessed it first hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment